Friday 2 September 2011

Playing Havok with Flash 11


click here to open (requires Flash 11 beta2 or higher)

I remember the title of a book for salesmen, called "Fake it 'til You Make It", the idea being to fake being successful until you actually become successful. While I haven't been able to make a physics engine to rival Havok in AS3, I have found a novel way to fake it by using reactor (powered by Havok in 3D Studio MAX) to create simulations I can export to Away3D. 
The resulting animation is written into a series of bitmaps that together form a small movie of the vertex movements.

Although the animation is baked (and the observant will notice it runs in a ping-pong loop right now) it's still possible to adjust the amount of effect (here "Wind Speed") programmatically, so you could call it "Half Baked". 
Borrowing from a bloke called Einstein, I applied my own little "theory of relativity" and registered deviations from the rest position instead of absolute values. This way you can "mix" in the animation and even apply it to completely different meshes.

I soon realised that the resulting "animation movie" or "video space warp"  (the funny coloured blocks you see when not running in Fullscreen) was actually resolution independent, that is to say it could be applied to meshes of any number of vertices. That helped solve another issue I was having, LOD. With this image based method you can achieve seamless level of detail changes even while the animation is running.
Flash is great at interpolating pixel colours, so you can even read values between pixels without much maths.

I realise that one could just register all the vertex positions into a ByteArray (which is actually what is happening under the hood) but I think it's nice to be able to see the animation and it's certainly easier to interpolate between values for different Mesh resolutions.
Another benefit I'm exploring is streaming the animation, after all video streaming and compression are built into Flash, so why not? Take it a step further and you could stream 3D scenes over an ordinary TV signal.

If you'd got the time and $'s you could completely redefine the idea of "3D TV"...

Much more to come, I suspect :O)


No comments:

Post a Comment